Completed in 1909, this typical Gothic church was designed by Philadelphia architects Carpenter & Crocker, who also designed Holy Cross Episcopal Church in Homewood and at least one of the Fifth Avenue mansions in Shadyside.
The fountain and formal gardens in Highland Park, seen from the stairs to the reservoir. Beyond is the grand entrance to the park, with Giuseppe Moretti’s “Welcome” group.
One of Pittsburgh’s two most famous and most prolific sculptors (the other being Frank Vittor), Giuseppe Moretti decorated the entrances to Highland Park with extraordinary bronzes. Note that these two opposite figures are matching but entirely different: Moretti sculpted them from two different models and posed them differently, thus making literally twice as much work for himself as an ordinary sculptor would.
This 22-story International-style apartment block looms over Highland Park, a mostly residential neighborhood with no other tall buildings. It is a fine place to live, according to residents: it is well maintained, and it has glorious views unobstructed by the looming bulk of the Parklane, which dominates most other views in the area.
Camera: Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3.
This splendid Second-Empire-style mansion in Highland Park was the home of Alexander King, whose family married into the Mellons, adding “King” to the repertory of Mellon middle names. Here we see it from Morningside.