Built in 1890 to reach the stockyards and other industrial unpleasantness on Herr’s Island, this bridge now carries bicycles from the Three Rivers Heritage Trail. Herr’s Island itself, renamed “Washington’s Landing,” is now full of expensive townhouses at this end, with some offices and businesses in the middle of the island and a park at the northeast end.
A grey day, and the U. S. Steel Tower has its head in the clouds, as it often has. Below we see the frozen back channel of the Allegheny at Herr’s Island (or Washington’s Landing).
Herr’s Island is the original name for this place (later Herrs Island, because of the rule against apostrophes in American geographical names); it was dirty and industrial until it was redeveloped into these pleasant and expensive townhouses.
From Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper, February 17, 1883. —This would be a rotten thing to happen to all those expensive townhouses today.