This spectacularly odd building houses the headquarters of M. S. Jacobs & Associates, an engineering firm. But the Egyptian style, and the location right across the street from the Chartiers Cemetery, tell us that it was originally in the death business; in fact, according to the all-knowing Internet, it was built in 1920 for a monument dealer.
The Sixteenth Street Bridge, built in 1922, is now officially named for David McCullough, the historian. It is a splendidly ornate bridge, and Father Pitt thinks (he welcomes corrections) that it is the only one of Pittsburgh’s major bridges to be named for someone still living. Mr. McCullough certainly deserves the honor if anyone does.
The congregation began as a house meeting in 1793 and was officially founded in 1812. The current church, which replaced an earlier log church, was built in 1843 and restored after a fire in 1944. Families of early settlers are buried in the churchyard.