The Sixteenth Street Bridge, built in 1922, is now officially named for David McCullough, the historian. It is a splendidly ornate bridge, and Father Pitt thinks (he welcomes corrections) that it is the only one of Pittsburgh’s major bridges to be named for someone still living. Mr. McCullough certainly deserves the honor if anyone does.
“Pennsylvania.—New Steel Bridge Recently Erected Over the Monongahela River at Pittsburgh.” From Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper, August 11, 1883. Note that the bridge is half today’s width; the upstream half was added later.